Louisiana Health Information Network (LHIN)
LHIN is a statewide all payer data sharing program which provides participating hospitals access to the most current, comprehensive patient-level data available through ShareCor. This data is collected for Inpatients, Outpatients and Ambulatory Surgery patients.
Hospitals of all sizes use the Louisiana Health Information Network (LHIN) in a variety of ways. The examples listed below demonstrate just a few of the most common uses for the LHIN data.
- Physician Recruitment - By documenting the patient population, hospitals are able to demonstrate potential patient loads to physician candidates - This is especially helpful for small and rural facilities trying to attract physicians to their hospitals.
- Payer Negotiations - As managed care becomes a more significant force in hospital and physician reimbursement, facilities want to insure that both the hospital and the medical staff are ready to respond to contracting opportunities. This includes the ability to participate in at-risk contracts at rates that are attractive to payers and profitable for providers. The LHIN data contains payer information by product line and/or DRG/ICD9 codes, and allows for in-depth analysis of the patients in the market (by age, zip code, payer category, etc.). The LHIN program is a well-known and accepted method of analysis by the payer community. This data can also be used to verify "sole community provider” status.
- Physician Efficiency Evaluation - How often have you heard "my patients are more sick”? With the availability of patient information by physician, as well as access to the Refined DRG Severity Adjustment software, hospital administrators have the ability to analyze practice pattern data and have a tool to assist the physicians in the delivery of quality and cost-efficient services. The ability to compare physicians to their peers within the market or across the state, is a powerful and useful part of LHIN. (Dr. Jones is charging $5,000 more than Dr. Smith for a hip replacement? Why?). In addition, Solucient offers their IMPAQ Series of reports (Improved Margin, Profitability, Appropriateness and Quality), that further assists hospitals in their quality management efforts.
- Prospective Network Modeling - Would it be beneficial for your facility to affiliate or merge with another? Would some physician networks be better for your patient mix than others? Using the data to model various networking opportunities is a major benefit to the member hospitals. Affiliate management can use this data to analyze the efficiency of an established hospital network.
- Capital Equipment Expenditures - When a physician, or group of physicians, requests the purchase of a new piece of capital equipment, the data can be used to analyze the return on investment (Is there a caseload to support the purchase? How long will it take to realize a return on investment?).
Where does the data for the LHIN come from? Each member hospital provides a complete UB92 data set for all inpatients. Typically, this data comes from the hospital’s MIS department or Business Office (and usually can be generated from the billing system). All fields from the billing form are stored in the main program database and can be accessed by any member hospital, as long as they submit the same data. For example, if your hospital does not submit physician I.D. numbers, you will not have access to the other member physician I.D. numbers. Note: This data is not available to the public; it is only available to member hospitals.
What else can I get from the data?
There are many other uses for patient data including: Outcomes measurement, hospital efficiency and effectiveness evaluation, physician practice pattern analysis and line item detail/clinical pathways analysis.
If you would like to participate in this data sharing program or would like more information, please email or call us at (504) 837-6266. This program is only available to hospitals in Louisiana.
2450 Severn Avenue - Suite 210 - Metairie, Louisiana 70001
Phone (504) 837-6266 - Fax (504) 837-1174 (map)
Copyright ©1998-2012 SHARECOR L.L.C. Inc. All rights reserved.