Update on Patient Rights & Suicide Prevention
OVERVIEW: According to Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) and accrediting organizations, such as Det Norske Veritas and The Joint Commission, one of the most-cited deficiencies at the immediate-jeopardy level is the right of patients to receive care in a safe setting. Ligature risks compromise a patient’s right to receive care in a safe setting, and it’s the hospital’s responsibility to provide care and safety to psychiatric patients at risk of harm to themselves or others.
• Describe the CMS requirements for providing care in a safe environment for patients, specifically
patients who are suicidal or in need of behavioral health services;
• Discuss CMS and the adoption of The Joint Commission suicide prevention panel recommendations;
• Identify examples of immediate jeopardy and conditions-of-participation deficiencies concerning
• Identify the responsibilities of community access hospitals under the new patient rights conditions of
• Identify what is required for a physical environmental risk assessment.
MEET YOUR FACULTY: Nancy Ruzicka; Speaker Bio
CONTINUING EDUCATION: Nursing: Up to 2.0 contact hours will be awarded for this offering by the Louisiana Hospital Association for complete attendance and evaluation of the program. The LHA is approved by the Louisiana State Board of Nursing – CE Provider #39.
Other Participants will receive, upon completion of this program and evaluation, a certificate documenting the completed continuing education/clock hours.
Registration not available.